Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blessed

I felt blessed this weekend. That is the only word that I can use to explain the peace that I have as I sit here tonight. On Saturday we took my grandparents dinner. Yes, at the age of 38, I still have three of my four biological grandparents. I was not only blessed to have them growing up, but I now have them at an age when I can appreciate them. I can listen to their stories, and soak up the legacy they are one day going to leave behind. My grandfather will be 90 years old this May. He is still golfing, and keeping up the house as my Grandmother's health slowly starts declining. Now...I say that, but Grandma still beat all of us at Rummy-Q on Saturday night. I still laugh out loud when I remember all the games of Spoons at the lake cottage, and all the nights of cut throat Rummy Q at their kitchen table. Now, my girls and my husband got to experience the Ringger Rummy Q. I don't think they knew it we were such a competitive family. Obviously they never had to fight my Grandma or Grandpa for the "smiley face." Or see my Grandpa's sly smile just moments before he goes out and leaves all of us with dozens of tiles to count. Yes, blessed. Blessed that they are prepared to celebrate their 60 year anniversary....60 years! What a legacy to be inherited to me and my family.

Today is Palm Sunday. The beginning of Holy Week. Now...we are not Lutheran, nor Catholic, nor Protestant, nor Methodist...well...what are we then? I'll tell you...SAVED! I got to spend time with my girls today explaining the true meaning behind Palm Sunday, and we plan to take time this week to practice communion as a family, and prepare ourselves for the celebration of Easter. The Israelites were waiting for their King. They were waiting on the one sent from God to arrive in Jerusalem on a horse, with chariots and an army to rescue them! And behold....um...a carpenter on a donkey? Um...who are you and where is this King?? Jesus came on a donkey to show his humility ... and yes, he was there to rescue them, but not with armies, but with healing - physically and spiritually. I can picture the scene where the villagers are waving their palms signing "Hosanna! Hosanna!" while whispering to their neighbors saying...really? Is this guy it?? Yes, my friends...that guy was IT. My girls love hearing this story each year...and I will continue telling it to them...year after year.



3 comments:

butchers said...

Love, love, love this post.....that's it....Just love t!

butchers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

Wow, what a beautiful post! I second Gin, LOVE it!